Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Motherslug's Cameron Calls Bruce Dickinson 'The Other Guy'

Motherslug brought us a spectacular record last year. If you haven't done so yet, check out The Electric Dunes of Titan and go ahead and demand a vinyl release...because I know I need it.

That was their third album, but let's talk about Cameron. He's the one who's talking to us today and here's what he has to say about the music he digs....

1. The first album I ever owned was?


I used to have a paper round and every week when I got paid I would ride up to the record store at the end of the street and spend it all on music. 

I bought a lot of singles Soft Cell - Tainted Love was the first, Devil Went Down to Georgia, Billy Squiers were others that I remember (and still have) but the first album I bought was either Kiss Alive II or Devo Live, strangely both live albums but I can't remember which one was first.


2. My favorite album of all time is....

The Beasts of Bourbon were an Australian super-group featuring a rotating cast of musos, members of The Scientists, Hoodoo Gurus, Lubricated Goat, The Johnnys and Salamander Jim. 

They put out The Low Road in 1991 with their best line up of Salmon, Jones, Perkins, Pola and Hooper. 

It's raw production by another Aussie legend Tony Cohen really captured their live sound and is probably the greatest example of Aussie rock ever produced.

3. The album with the best art is...Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

It is such an iconic image, it is hard to say whether this would have been so iconic if the album wasn't as popular but the marriage of sound and vision just seem perfect in this instance. 

Just because that is so blatantly uninformative I'm also going to nominate Crass artist Gee Vaucher for not only creating the most genre defining album art but also an art movement in itself. 

Bloody Revolutions, Yes Sir, I Will, Bullshit Detector, You're Already Dead - all unforgettable images.

4. My favorite heavy metal album of all time is...

I have a lot of favourite heavy albums - Sleep's Dopesmoker is one, Ride the Lightning another but if we are talking "heavy metal" then it has to be Killers - Iron Maiden. I always preferred Di'Anno's vocals over the other guy and the songs are just solid metal classics. 

(ed note: this is officially questioning Bruce Dickinson)

I would have listened to this hundreds of times over the years and I never get sick of it.

5. My favorite album of all time (Any genre is)third verse same as the first....

6. My favorite live album of all time is...

I love live albums, Deep Purple's Live in Japan is great and although it's obviously not "live" Kiss Alive! is an absolute classic if only for Paul Stanley's stage banter. 

When I was about 16 I bought a second-hand copy of the double album It's Alive by the Ramones. I got to play it a couple of times before my friend borrowed it, they lent it to another friend, then another. 

When I finally got the album back it was totally trashed. It's truly an album worthy of being played to death!

7. My favorite album format is.....

format? If you mean the medium on which it is stored... I'm a digital guy, I have hundreds of vinyl records, CD's and even tapes squirreled away - but that's just it, they are stored away and they are totally impractical to transport, they are all slowly degrading or getting pissed on by animals, warped in the sun or damaged by drunken midnight revelries. 

If we are talking format for songs...Even though I have a lot of live albums in my 'best of' lists my favourite format is the concept album - Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, Subhumans' Cradle to the Grave, Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick, anything by Tangerine Dream - totally immersive and damned impressive.


No comments:

Post a Comment